Regular Weekly Events at Narara Ecovillage:
- Bush Regeneration – Wednesdays 8.30–2pm.
Contact: Teresa 0409 998 507
- Heartfulness Meditation with Kerrie Anderson – Wednesdays 6–7pm and Sundays 7.30–8.30am.
Contact: Meng 0408 337 955 or Lynda 0421 008 702.
- Summer Food Growing Working Bee. In exchange for some fresh goodies! Tuesdays from 4.30-6pm.
Contact: Margo 0419 276 242 (Will restart 14/1/20)
- Cuppa with the Founder of Narara Ecovillage – anytime. Contact: Lyndall Parris 0419 279 711
Meet up outside the Visitors Centre.
By donation towards the coffee cart.
John Shiel has visited ecovillages around the world and will describe how these communities formed, and how some were successful in developing their sustainability. He will show how establishing a sustainable community in an urban area contributes to the village’s success and can lead to lower overall ecological impact.
He will discuss the importance of:
- Connected Communities living locally
- Local currency
- Local food growing
- Houses and infrastructure that:
- Power themselves
- Have low or negative embodied energy
- Low energy transport
- Zero Waste
John Shiel is a member of Narara Ecovillage Co-operative and the Principal of EnviroSustain, Built Environment Sustainability Consultants. He is a member of Beyond Zero Emissions and is the Immediate Past Chairman of Permaculture Hunter. Formerly, John was a power station civil engineer and an IT consultant with a multi-national. His has an engineering PhD in retrofitting houses for climate change.